Our Mission: The mission of the Therapeutic Recreation Department is to empower our participants to become self sufficient, responsible and productive members of society.
Our Philosophy: To provide a safe positive environment which encourages positive self esteem, individual expression and personal growth. We are committed to the health and growth of our youth by employing creative safe techniques to meet each client’s needs in a stable and non-threatening environment.
Our Team: We are dedicated to employing qualified individuals who will specialize in the needs of our participants. Our team will demonstrate a sincere commitment to provide support, professionalism and the opportunity for growth to each participant. Our pillars of success are the three C’s – character, commitment and competence when working within the community.
Therapeutic Recreation is important: We provide recreational activities which enhance physical fitness, increased self-confidence and increased social interaction. Research shows that productive and positive use of recreation time for someone with a disability is not only desirable, it is imperative (per the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation).
Our program will provide:
Improved Cognitive Skills:
- Ability to follow simple directions
- Heightened sensory awareness
- Improved communication
- Heightened environmental awareness
- Improved interpersonal skills
- Improved ability to make needs known
- Decision making opportunities
- Improved memory skills
- Improved attention span
- Improved self-expression
Improved Physical Skills:
- Improved fine/gross motor skills
- Increased endurance
- Increased mobility and range of motion
- Improved hand/eye coordination
- Improved ADL skills/body awareness
- Increased strength and flexibility
Improved Emotional Well Being:
- Increased socialization
- Increased motivation
- Opportunity for creative expression
- Increased self-esteem
- Increased confidence
- Decreased Learned Helplessness
Decrease in Behavioral Problems:
- Aggressive Behavior